Sunday, April 19, 2009

I lovermont

Remember that bumper sticker? I do. I love Vermont. As Fabio is fond of saying, "I have never had a bad day in Vermont". I want to move there. I romanticize about living there on some rolling hillside, home schooling the kids while the bread rises. Fabio would be in his shop out by the chicken coop. I'd have to get up early to fetch some warm eggs for breakfast. There would be cheese boards at lunch. Oh Vermont, I want you!

Last Sunday I was reading the circulars in the paper. I saw one for the "99" Resturant.They were giving away chances to win box seats, and throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Fenway with the purchase of an entree. They also offered a $10 coupon for every $25 that you spent. I thought it sounded like a deal and said so. Fabio agreed. I looked at all their locations and said, "We should go to the one in Rutland, the boys are out of school." Hotel rooms are going for a song.

We left early on Wednesday morning, dropped our bags at the room, and drove up to Montpelier. We had soup at the Culinary Institute and then played bocce on The State House lawn.



















It was a beautiful day. Everyone was on their best behavior. It was like they had just been let out of prison. The weather was perfect, and apparently that is not always the case. But it is for me. Every time I go to Vermont the air is always crisp and fresh. I am another person who has never had a bad day in Vermont.

After a great game of bocce we bagged the balls and left them on the lawn. We took a tour of the State House.










It was in session and exciting. We walked all over and watched laws getting shaped and passed. Everyone was so friendly and happy to see us.





















We collected our bocce balls and drove backroads back to Rutland. It was a lovely day. We went out for dinner where we won nothing, and went to bed early. The next morning I googled "Family day hikes near Bennington, VT".Haystack Mountain looked good. We had a little complimentary continental breakfast and set off. Back roads.
We stopped at The Country Store in Wilmington for some provisions (and sparklers).


















These photos remind me of a dying carnival on the Jersey Shore.













We hiked up a beautiful snow covered trail, hiked down and drove home. We got Chinese take out for dinner. It was the best 2 days I have had in awhile. If we don't move to Vermont,we should really try to get there at least 4 times a month.

No comments: