Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Library






























The library is the best hour of my day. It is right next door to Enzo's school. Enzo gets picked up at 2pm and Owen doesn't get out until 3:05 pm , five minutes away. I have to go to the library before I get Enzo in order to sign him up for 2:30 computer time.

After I do that, I go and get him from school and walk over to the library with him. We sit at a table and he does his homework. I read or write. At 2:30 his name is called and he goes on the computer for 25 minutes. He plays "icy towers" because it is his favorite game.We had to take it off of our computer because it was screwing everything up for some reason. It is the perfect compromise.

Fabio used to come home from picking up the boys with his current book in his hand and extol the virtues of the Wanskuck Public Library. I was just glad not to have to rush home from ice skating. My short skate season pass is only good from 12 to 2 M-F. Now I get to the rink at Noon on the dot and skate for an hour, an hour and fifteen minutes, and then head straight for the library.

If I don't sign Enzo up before I meet him, then ALL the 2;30 slots are filled. I am surprised that they let me do that. They run such a tight ship. It is such a nice environment. They have an after school program for kids whose parents work. It is no nonsense and homework first. Enzo is so serious there.

Fabio is NOT taking this back over when he comes home. It restores me. I look forward to it all day. I love the quiet book lined rooms. I love the big Haitian security guard who walks around barking , with good reason and good humor, at all dem disobeying kids. I love the ladies behind the counter with their long grey hair. They look just like you want a librarian to look like,glasses hanging from their necks. Fabio calls them witches. But we both agree that they are "good witches". Only law and order prevails in their library.

No comments: