Friday, February 20, 2009

Mr. Crane









When I was about 9 or 10 years old I used to walk home from school by myself. I would never dream of letting my boys do such a thing, but times have changed. I used to walk by the Fall River Firehouse. Mr. Crane was always sitting on this bench at that time of day. He was a gem. He was probably in his late 70's, early 80's. He had the same birthday as me. We would sit and talk everyday.

Some days we would cross the street to get a better look at a display of bottles that this lady had in her kitchen window. We would point out our favorites. Some days we walked around the block. He and I talked about a lot of things. He seemed to take me very seriously, always listening to my youthful insights with kind attention. I liked this old man a lot.

One Saturday I was just walking around my neighborhood and I saw him down the street from my house. I invited him in to meet my family. My mother had never heard of him. I could have sworn that I had said something about him. No one in my family had ever heard of him! I had been hanging out with him for well over a year but I had never mentioned it.

2 comments:

Jo Chopra McGowan said...

Gosh. Isn't it an awful comment on our times that this story gives me chills up my spine?

Lucy Cuseo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.