Thursday, July 16, 2009

Journey to Block Island















We went to Block Island, Rhode Island two days ago. We have lived in Providence since April of 2002. From 1967 until 1986 I lived in Fall River, Massachusetts. How is it that I have never been to Block Island? Why wasn't I one of those high school kids who would spend their Summers working at The National Hotel? They got room and board and a salary plus tips! What was I thinking? There were plenty of jobs. I always saw them advertised at the beginning of Summer in the Providence Journal.















I saw them advertised THIS Summer. Can you imagine? If you are single with no dependants- what an idyllic way to spend a Summer. Housekeeping at The National Hotel. I love making beds. I am sure the linen is crisp. It is a fancy hotel.

Block Island is now my favorite place on earth. I love Block Island. I love saying "Block Island". I loved the whole day. We missed the 10:30 ferry by five minutes because Fabio mistakenly headed toward Fort Adams in Newport where the ferry leaves once a day instead of to Point Judith where the ferry leaves every hour and a half.

I realized his error as soon as he took the wrong exit, by then we were on the Newport Bridge. He had to turn around and we were just too late. They run a tight ship. I have never gotten to use that cliche so accurately in my life. Fabio is never late for anything. I mean never. He has "drop dead departure times" that are strickly adhered to. This guy is never late. He was so bugged.

Hanging out in Point Judith for an hour and 25 minutes was great except for having to endure Fabio's repeated apologies.
























It was fine. We got the boys ice cream.

















There was a buzz in the air. I was really really excited. I had been wanting to go to Block Island for my entire life. It is only $17.50 RT and a short 55 minute ferry ride from Point Judith!I have no idea what I had been waiting for. It is hardly inaccessible. It is the nicest place I have ever been to.
















When we stepped off the ferry we were on new land. We had no idea what to expect. We took a right and walked down the street. We walked past charming houses and little shops. The boys,of course, were famished, as if they had spent days on The Mayflower. We stopped for lunch and then headed to the beach.























We sat and we swam and we buried the boys in the sand.























The weather was perfect. I could have sat there all day.


































After a day at the beach we packed up and headed back to the center of town. We had a couple of hours before the last ferry left so we decided to explore a little. We walked up this cute little street with old homes and seaviews. We walked past the fabulous Hotel Manisses 1661 Inn. It is enormous and grand. People were sitting on the big old porch reading in rockers. Red wine was being served.


As we walked further up the street we came upon a curious farm.


















Enzo spotted a yak. Owen read the handpainted sign aloud, "Please don't feed the camel."
























At that moment a young family came strolling down the path . They told us to go up even further and we would see a Zedonk. A Zedonk is (you may have guessed) a cross between a zebra and a donkey.







That is a llama beside him.





Did I mention the emu?

















This is a very old fainting goat, apparently.



















Have you any idea what this is? Enzo is pretty sure that it is a Scottish cow.

















Block Island is a magical place. I cannot believe that I had never been there. I almost feel duty bound to pack up the family and just go ahead and move there to make up for lost time.

The day kept getting better and better, apart from the fact that it was going to end.


















We boarded the 7:30 pm ferry back to Point Judith. On the ferry we saw the most beautiful sky. We had the smell of salt water on our skin and some color in our cheeks. All of us were dressed perfectly for the dip in temperature and the sky was all that we could see.





















I don't think I have ever had a better day in my life. It was effortless enjoyment. I would like to do it again and again and again. It is a hidden gem. The pace of Block Island is perfect. It is so uncrowded and relaxed.

I am going on and on because I feel I must! I cannot say enough about Block Island. The charm is intoxicating. It really was one thing after another. When we came home I googled Block Island. We haven't even scratched the surface. I am going back for more.

4 comments:

Jo Chopra McGowan said...

Beautiful post, Lucy! The photos are awesome. Did you know Dan Berrigan came from Block Island to perform our wedding? And that's where he was hiding out when he was underground after the Catonsville 9 action.

Catherine Witt said...

Nice. What a pleasure to see and read about your blissful day. When a day is perfect, it is effortless or it seems so at least. I guess if you're sweating or fussing, you're going to be too worn out to experience the beauty. I think it's God's way of telling us not to take the credit.

Jo Chopra McGowan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ingrid said...

Your ecstatic embrace of Block Island reminds me of the first time I went to Wellfleet, ten years ago. I couldn't believe this place existed, where I could ride my bike to four ponds or five ocean beaches! And walk across a salt-water marsh on a footbridge! I'm still in love with Wellfleet, but I want to go to Block Island, too. Isn't it car-free? That might even top W'fleet.