Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Aloo Parathas






There is nothing better than learning from a master! Vickram, one of my sister's cooks is a master. Despite what my grandfather wrote, Vickram is good enough to be my master in this instance. What a great guy. Always smiling. He speaks English well, and is always wanting to improve it. I asked him if he could give me some cooking lessons. We began with Aloo Parathas, which is flat bread stuffed with a mixture of mashed potatoes(aloo), minced onions, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper. You start off with a chapati dough, which is just flour and water mixed together until it "feels right". Then you roll a little ball out, spread it with the potato mixture, roll another little ball place it on top, seal the edges then roll some more. Next, you place it on a hot pan, give it a few flips and enjoy!

The boys had a lot of fun too, it actually turned into a party. The boys and I have a new housemate, a fabulous Scottish gal named Bridget. She and Jo's housemate, another fabulous gal named Shelly joined in. We took over Jo's kitchen. It was so much fun. Vickram had endless patience with us. Our first attempts were full of holes but great for a laugh.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Vikram is the man! And thanks for letting me relive the joy of cooking with Vikram and aloo parathas! :)