Friday, September 19, 2008

Monsoons and The Forest Research Institute



















I was walking to the vickram stand with the boys yesterday. A vickram is a shared ride, it is also a popular boys name. Another popular name that I found surprising? "Swastick".

Owen and Enzo love their Friday after school treat. We were going into town for a mango milkshake. It was raining. Or "monsooning" as Enzo likes to call it. We were chatting about their day at school as we puddle jumped and avoided cow dumpings. A car swerved around another car (as they tend to do here with alarming regularity). The boys said what happened next was straight out of a cartoon. I am so glad they were amused.

I have never been splashed so grandly in my life. It really was larger than life. This great huge wave of dirty water hit all of us, but mostly me. Thank God my camera was safely tucked away in its case. Owen begged for it, so that he could document me immediately. Somehow, it doesn't look as bad as it was in the photo. It was pretty funny. I am so glad I was wearing my old western clothes, and not some new Indian garment that would have bled all over the place.

The cow dumping statement paints a horrible portrait of this picturesque little Enclave that we are living in. The roaming street cows add to the quaintness of it all. Vasant Vihar Enclave. How green is my valley. It is lovely here. We can see the Himalayas from our front yard. It rains a lot, but the rain makes everything so lush. We live a few blocks away from The Forest Research Institute. It is a beautiful gated forest. For one rupee, you are free to roam around.There are lots of monkeys there but they keep to themselves, unless you are a dog. On our first walkabout we saw an amazing monkey/dog fight (from a good safe distance,darling). If the rain slows down, we may venture over there this morning.

No comments: