Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Monkeys in Musoorie.





The boys and I just returned from a place that I believe is the closest you can get to Heaven here on this Earth. It is absolutely enchanting. Musoorie. Breathtakingly beautiful. Mountain upon mountain. It is the Himalayas for goodness sake! Jo and Ravi rent a cottage at the end of this pretty little lane. There is a family living there as caretakers. They speak very little English. What I should say is that WE speak very little Hindi. The father is the cook. He is a cook who should win some kind of award, just for making eggplant sing. He can say "Dinner" and "Breakfast" and "chai" in English. I JUMP up the minute he says any of those words knowing full well that I am in for a big treat.

They have 3 kids. 2 girls and a boy. Even with the language barrier my two boys had tons of fun playing with them, acting out their words. The boy, Rohit, could say "Ready, Set, Go" in English. Apparently that is the only phrase you need to have fun. They went and went!

Just about a quarter mile up the lane (back towards where we came from) is a general store. I needed to get some bottled water for our dinner. The boys did not want to accompany me because big big monkeys can appear out of nowhere.I left them with their new friends and their mother. I wasn't scared. Ha! The walk to the store was uneventful, apart from the view.

I got the water (alright, and some earrings and 3 kurtas and a purse) I started back. About half way down the scenic lane, I spotted a HUGE monkey lumbering toward me. I freaked out. Seriously freaked out. I wasn't quite sure how to react, seeing as this has never happened to me before. Freaking out seemed to be my only option.

I ran back towards the store. The woman who I had just purchased all my items from saw my distress and piled me into her car. Even she was scared. She said that the monkeys had gotten very, very aggresive of late.

It was worth it just to be in Musoorie.

P.S. That first picture is of a teeny tiny monkey. You have no idea what I encountered! I wasn't stopping to photograph.Ha!

No comments: