Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Moy and My Jo












I am so pleased that these two women are mine. My sister and my niece. The loves. Jo? I see her all the time. Always so excited when I do. She has been to America over 1,000 times this year. No exaggeration.

I always miss Moy. Moy is the best. She is like the well placed breeze. You are always so happy in her presence. She is good. She has cerebral palsey and doesn't speak anymore. This girl has changed the lives of countless Indian children. My sister Jo recognized a need for children with special needs. They all seemed to be hidden away.

A School For Moy Moy. A School for Moy Moy has turned into so much more. It has turned into an early intervention program, a grammar/high school and what is referred to as a "college" Moy is in college. She is 19! My little Moy!

Another program has sprung out of this. This program is called Latika Vihar. It is an after school play place. All kids are welcome. Special needs, servants children, rich kids, anyone in the neighborhood. For 60 rupees a month (gosh, that is about $1.00 US) these kids can have supervised play from 4:30-6:30 M-F! If they can't afford it, they can skate. Latika Vihar is that kind of place.

Supervised doesn't even come close to what is actually provided. There is a potter one day instructing the kids how to throw pots, a woodworker another day allowing the kids access to his homemade tools, dances and cooking are taught. My boys LOVE IT!
A school for Moy Moy has come up trumps. She is the sweetest of loves. My Moy. My Jo. I am so proud of both of them.Changing Lives, really changing them. I will write another entry about this one girl. Her life is changed.

No comments: