Monday, July 7, 2008

The End




This first picture is funny. I have another shot right after this with my father shoveling pancakes into my sons mouth. Nobody was starving the boy. I just love THIS picture because it is SO funny!


I think about my mother a lot. She died on June 21,2008. She is in the ground. It was such a dramatic end. It was weird because there is this new law that you have to have this big slab of concrete in the ground first? I am still not quite sure. It costs an extra $1600, that I do know. When we got to the cemetery the organizer of this sad event told my sister to have us all go into the Chapel and pray and they would bury my mother,later. Wha? Yeah yeah, we could go on to our mercy meal and they would bury my mother!

Apparently the big slab of concrete was not ready. So we waited.

At last we gathered to say some prayers over my mother's final resting place. It was sad and scary and certain. Again, the event planner spoke up, he told us all to get in our cars and go to The Quequechan Club in Fall River. I hadn't been to a grave side service in a while. I always thought that you watched the casket go down as some final act of closure. That is not the case. He looked shocked when we said we would like to see our mother lowered into the ground.

Maybe I have been watching too many old Irish movies but I thought that we all threw dirt on the grave too. THAT would have really shocked him. He granted our wish, and he called these 3 graveyard workers, dressed in dirty denim pants and brightly colored company shirts. They loosened the pulley from underneath and lowered my mother into the ground. They were very reverent and I am sure that they felt like out of place fools.

No comments: