Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Man and My Dog.








I have given up my dog. I had to. I still see Eddie everyday but he brings my father such comfort and joy, comfort and joy. Maybe I should hire a little Christmas Choir. Really, no one has ever seen anything quite like it. He is all my father ever talks about. On the day my mother died, in fact with in an hour after my mother's passing, Eddie placed himself at my father's feet. When my father got up, so did Eddie. Everyone took note. It was the sweetest display of solidarity I had ever seen. My dad was so buoyed,even in his grief, by Eddie's love and loyalty.

My dad now sleeps on my mom's side of the bed and my dog sleeps on my dad's. They live next door to us, so I haven't really given him up. Really. I guess I may have.

My sister Jo took my father out for dinner about a week after my mother's funeral. I asked her where she had gone,before she could tell me, she started laughing. She had taken him to a really fancy Federal Hill Restaurant in Providence. She said that my father looked around and then said very seriously, "Eddie would love this place"
As much as I miss that dog, I am doing the right thing. Obviously.

3 comments:

Jo Chopra McGowan said...

This is so funny and SO TRUE!!! Everyone who loves dogs nods sagely when they hear these stories though - best therapy in the world, they all agree. Owen has a sign in his house that says "My ambition is to be as good a person as my dog believes I am."

patrice said...

this made me cry and then laugh. thank you for sharing it.

Julie said...

I love that second photo, with them both sleeping. And I'm so glad your dad has Eddie.